May is National Posture Month!
Your posture has a massive impact on your overall health. People with good posture enjoy:
- Pain-free movement and flexibility
- Better balance and coordination
- Higher energy levels
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Optimism and a positive attitude
- Ability to breathe deeply
- More youthful appearance
- Staying active longer
Sitting is the 21st-century posture. Our technology-driven work and recreational habits are a primary cause of neck, shoulder, and back pain. The human body is designed to walk and run, not sit in a folded, cramped position for hours. If you spend a big chunk of your life sitting, you must actively do something to counteract your habits, or your posture will suffer.
You can have better posture from yoga!
- Yoga helps to develop core strength which affects our posture.
- Yoga helps with body awareness; you’ll notice more quickly if you’re slouching or slumping.
- Yoga massages the skeletal system, which supports bone mass and growth, while reducing tension in the supporting muscles and tendons.
- Yoga strengthens and stretches the shoulders, chest, back, and abdominals.
This month several of our classes will have a focus on poses that help with posture.